Are you curious where the metals in your smartphone come from? Do you know that mining is related to human rights abuses and environmental destruction? Do you want to obtain more knowledge, skills and experience in making a positive change? Then join CATAPA’s changemakers weekend!
During this weekend, we will do several activities and trainings, in which you can increase your knowledge of the ecological and socio-economic impact of mining. Also, you will learn about the metals in your ICT, the impacts of ICT consumption and how to make our ICT more sustainable.
During this weekend, you will:
- participate in a workshop on the ins and outs of mining, its impacts, the political context in Latin-America and the economic demand for metals
- listen to inspiring stories of former CATAPA-volunteers in Peru and Colombia
- get the ins and outs of how mining companies function
- find out about our Make ICT Fair campaign
- learn about the traceability of metals in your smartphone
- obtain skills to repair your own laptop
- learn about planned obsolescense
- improve your public speaking skills
- develop an exciting non-violent direct action!
Who can attend?
We welcome everyone who is:
- interested in themes of mining, ICT value chains, human rights, sustainable development, international solidarity or related topics
- has the willingness to learn and engage her/himself to actively contribute to CATAPA’s work in 2018-2019
- feels comfortable to communicate in English
- CATAPA cherishes diversity and therefore stimulates people of all etnicities, backgrounds, nationalities, sexual orientations, genders and ages to apply.
Participation fee for the training weekend is 50 EUR (without transport).
If you have difficulties to cover the participation fee, you can contact us.
Please pay 50EUR mentioning your name and ‘changemakers weekend on CATAPA’s bank account: BE49 9795 2861 7871
The weekend will take place in group accommodation De Hoge Rielen. The address is Molenstraat 62 in Kasterlee. To subscribe, send an e-mail to email@example.com
The changemakers programme
This weekend is part of the changemakers programme, which is a programme that runs throughout 2018-2019, and supports people in becoming a changemaker. Other activities in the programme include a direct action, a second training weekend in December, and an international changemakers camp in the UK in June. To read more about this programme, please visit our website: www.catapa.be