CATAPA vzw is looking for a Communications Officer (m/f/x) 70% + optional 10% Office Support – indefinite contract
Our main activities are:
- Campaigning on the impact of mining and sustainable production of electronics in Flanders.
- Supporting partners and local communities in Latin America threatened by large-scale mining projects.
- Creating movement around sustainable production and consumption of metals.
- Networking, research & stimulating alternatives, including degrowth.
Since CATAPA is a socio-cultural volunteer movement, the ‘Catapistas’ (volunteers and sympathizers) are involved in all aspects of its operation; from strategic to operational. To put this into practice, we work with an office team that offers the volunteers a professional framework.
70% FTE communication tasks:
- Developing and overseeing the narrative and messaging for CATAPA’s work and campaigns.
- Developing CATAPA’s brand and visibility.
- Managing our social media channels (Instagram, Twitter/X, LinkedIn, Facebook) and planning, writing and/or editing content for the website (blogs, press releases, webpage content) and the newsletter, with the support of other team members and volunteers.
- You also support or coordinate other written, visual or audiovisual communication, as required. For example, coordinating and/or helping create communications both physical and digital about our events, opportunities and activities
- You will be responsible for planning and overseeing the communications of our current CTRL-ALT-DEL Stop #ExpresDefect-campaign and Right to Say ‘No’ -campaign, together with the volunteer working groups and campaign officers.
- You coordinate with colleagues, volunteers and, from time to time, freelancers for everything related to communication.
As a volunteers’ movement, evening and weekend work is part of the job.
Optional 10% FTE office support:
- Overseeing and coordinating the practical office needs i.e. checking and restocking office supplies where needed.
- Representative of CATAPA towards other organizations within our building’s cooperative Gents Ecologisch Centrum.
- Information management: managing the Google Drive and its accesses, creating new email addresses, …
We are aware that job profiles can be long and do not require every applicant to meet every aspect of the criteria. We encourage you to apply even if you do not match 100% of the criteria. We welcome applications from underrepresented backgrounds and identities.
- You are confident in adapting content on complex topics into clear and compelling messages and stories for the broader public. You adapt content, tone and design to the specific target group.
- Experience in strategic social media management including social media tools for analytics (for example, Meta Business Suite). We are particularly interested in experience with Instagram, Facebook and LinkedIn.
- Experience in managing websites, particularly WordPress.
- Experience in designing communications strategies for campaigns. The creative, communicative part of designing campaigns gives you energy.
- You have at least basic knowledge of graphic design for social media (e.g. in Canva).
- You are flexible and experienced working in an environment with often-shifting priorities and deadlines.
- You are interested in climate justice, social justice, mining and/or related themes linked to CATAPA’s work and are actively engaged in these topics or have prior experience in these areas.
- You are a team player and can inspire and manage a limited number of people (for example freelancers and volunteers).
- You have a strong knowledge of Dutch and English. Knowledge of Spanish is a bonus.
- You have an open and respectful feedback style and are willing to work in a self-organized team.
- Having experience with communication in the socio-cultural field is a bonus.
- Having experience working with the media and developing content specifically for media coverage is a bonus.
- A rewarding job with room to take your own initiative in a unique, dynamic movement.
- A pleasant working atmosphere together with a small self-organised team of permanent staff and many volunteers.
- A contract for an indefinite period.
- Remuneration according to sector scale PC329.01, B1b.
- The work volume (70 or 80% with the additional office support work) is open to discussion.
- Office space in Ghent in front of the Sint-Pieters station.*
*Please note: the office is on the 4th floor and does not have the capacity for step-free access. If this is an obstacle then please get in touch to discuss options.
- Bicycle allowance for commuting or public transport reimbursement.
- Work-life combination: flexible working hours & home office days are possible